Monday 8 October 2012

Cardiff Castle

On Saturday 6 October I went to Cardiff for the weekend.  I have been to Cardiff I few times but only ever to watch the FA Cup Final at the Millenium Stadium.  Everytime I saw the Castle and thought to myself that "I must visit here one day".  So I decided to extend my art trip to the Welsh capital.

The entrance price was a little on the expensive side at £11 per Adult.  You can upgrade this to include a 45 minute extended guided tour of the Castle Apartments.  I bought the cheaper ticket.

Included in the price is an Audio Guide which I found very useful in terms of history and insight into the Castle.  Thankfully the weather was nice so I enjoyed my leisurely stroll around the Castle Wall & Keep.  As usual I took photographs for you to enjoy.

For more information about Cardiff Castle visit the Official Website here

The Keep


The Keep & North Gate


The Air Raid Shelter - During WWII the 6th Marquess of Bute had the walls of the Castle converted into public air raid shelters


The Black Tower - The Castle jail which over the years held some important prisoners.  Rawlins White was a Protestant Martyr who was held here before his execution for heresy.  Two Roman Catholic priests were held before being hung, drawn and quartered for High Treason.


The Clock Tower


The ceiling of the Arab Room in the Castle Apartments


The Banqueting Hall in the Castle Apartments


The Castle Library.  The five figures each represent ancient languages of Greek, Hebrew, Assyrian, Hieroglyphics and Runic


A view from the Keep towards the main Castle entrance (Black Tower ahead, Clock Tower to the right)


Inside the Keep


A view of the Castle Apartments from the Keep


The Moat around the Keep with waterlillies


No comments:

Post a Comment